1 (4-pound) whole chicken
8 large sprigs fresh parsley
4 stalks celery
4 carrots, halved
1 medium yellow onion, cut into quarters
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1½ cups (1-inch) sliced fresh green beans
1½ cups coarsely chopped yellow onion
1½ cups coarsely chopped carrot
1 cup coarsely chopped celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup heavy whipping cream (Spoon Buddy measures 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (Strip with Strip-n-Snip scissors)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (Strip with Strip-n-Snip scissors)
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
2 teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
1) For broth: In a large stockpot, combine chicken, parsley, celery, carrot, onion, and peppercorns. Add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until chicken is tender, about 2 hours.
2) Remove chicken from broth. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Shred meat, discarding skin and bones. Drain broth through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding solids. Reserve 2 cups broth for filling. Let cool, and freeze remaining broth in heavy-duty resealable plastic bags for up to 3 months.
3) Preheat oven to 375°.
4) For filling: In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add beans, onion, carrot, and celery; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over vegetables; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in 2 cups reserved broth and cream. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. Between stirring, use your Spoon Buddy to contain the mess. Remove from heat. Stir in chicken, parsley, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper.
5) For crust: On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry into a 10-inch square. Place over hot chicken mixture, letting excess extend over sides of skillet. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 teaspoon water. Brush pastry with egg mixture. Cut 4 (1-inch) vents in top of dough to release steam. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush underside of pastry corners with egg mixture; press to skillet.
6) Move skillet into the oven using your Pan Buddy and Bake until filling is bubbly and crust is puffed and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe found at: https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/cast-iron-chicken-pot-pie/